October 01, 2012

Vegan MoFo!

We take a break from our regularly-scheduled programming (that is to say not much programming at all) to present Vegan MoFo (Vegan Month of Food)! My theme is going to be food based on movies, TV shows, and books. It's my first time doing anything like this so hopefully it all goes smoothly!

I'm starting Vegan MoFo with the movie that inspired my theme - Kramer vs. Kramer. I love this movie soooo much, and one of my favorite scenes is Dustin Hoffman making "folded" French toast:

(note: there are eggs and milk and stuff in this video! be warned! hopefully I'm not breaking the rules already)

The contrast between the first time he makes French toast and the second is a perfect representation of his growth as a father. I am willing to bet that you will fall in love with Dustin Hoffman as this transformation occurs. You may also find yourself thinking, He better have won an Oscar for this. (Don't worry, he did.) Kramer vs. Kramer is on Netflix and Amazon Instant, so what are you waiting for?


For my French toast, I used this recipe from Go Vegan Meow. It tastes like the French toast I remember from my pregan days (probably a little less eggy but that is a-ok). Make sure to oil the pan to get the right texture! (I tried to skip this step and my first slices were soggy in the middle.) I topped mine with agave because, unbelievably, I was out of powdered sugar!


That's all for Vegan MoFo Day One! Hopefully my food photography skills will improve as we go along... Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment